Thursday, November 1, 2012

oh sandy


Years ago,
I remember watching one of those
"It Could Happen"
tv shows
about a potentially devastating hurricane
hitting Manhattan.
It was fascinating, 
but I didn't think it would
ever really happen.

Sagg Main Monday Morning

Watching it come to pass 
with Superstorm Sandy,
has been surreal.

On Monday afternoon,
(before the arrival of Sandy)
John left our house to go check on the stables.
He had traveled about a mile,
when he was forced to turn around 
due to a huge fallen tree in the road.
Upon turning around,
he discovered he had been trapped by
this tree.


At that point,
he realized
it was time to 
get home
and
"hunker down."
There was no more to be done
for the businesses.

I was glued to the news, Facebook,
and Hamptons.com
looking for pictures of Sag Harbor.

I couldn't believe Bay Street had become
the bay



 or that Long Beach,
my favorite place to walk,
was flooded.


Christie Brinkley
posted pics of Noyac,
right down the street from my house.


I lost touch with John about 3:00 p.m. on Monday.
I knew we had lost power in Sag Harbor,
but assumed we would keep in touch by cell.
Of course,
 he lost cell service next.
I spent a long night worried about his safety
and our home.

On Tuesday morning,
I finally heard from John
and he reported that it had been 
a "wicked" storm,
but (Halleliujah!) he and
our house were fine.

On his way to work,
he sent some pics 



I was crestfallen
to realize many of my friends
will be faced with 
rebuilding their homes
and businesses.

c.brinkley

The Hamptons sustained serious damage,
especially on the coast.
However, 
we escaped the utter destruction 

of whole communities
such as Breezy Point,
Fire Island,
and parts of New Jersey.

My thoughts and prayers 
are with everyone
affected by this storm.

The Morning After
c.brinkley

Praying for blue skies,
and
 brighter days ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment