Wednesday, January 25, 2012

putting it in perspective

Having an eleven year old daughter
has led to many talks
about friendship
and 
"heart" friends
- those friends whom
 no matter
what time or circumstances have passed
remain closest to your heart.

This afternoon,
as CC and I left home for a walk,
I received a text.

It said:
'Hi!
Can you come over?
With a bottle of wine.
White.
Not too heavy oaked.
Chilled.'

We immediately turned around.  

One of my "heart" friends
is facing round 2 
against breast cancer.

Everything we had planned
for the afternoon and evening
changed at that moment.

We turned around,
packed up,
and headed over to my friend's.

I cannot describe 
the time we shared
or
how wonderful it was to 
see her 
and to talk.

Everything that had been important
earlier in the day
washed away
and 
what became clear
were moments
friendship
family
love.

I hope she kicks cancer's ass.



No comments:

Post a Comment