Wednesday, October 10, 2012

the king and i


Last Wednesday,
I flew to New York
where John and I
had dinner with 
T.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf,
Queen Silvia,
and 
 H.R. H. Princess Madeleine
of Sweden.

zimbio.com

We attended the
Swedish-American
Chamber of Commerce
Farm to Fork
Gala.

I have been to many events in the city,
but never a black tie event
and certainly,
never with royalty.

(I tried every editor around and frustratingly,
cannot remove the red-eye.)

I'm sure we looked 
a little lost
as we navigated the entrance 
to the
Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
And it was surreal 
to walk the red carpet 
behind the rope
and be photographed.
We tried to pretend 
that we knew
what we were doing!


I swooned over the dresses
during the cocktail hour.



This was my favorite dress
of the night.
It was just different,
edgy,
youthful.

SACC Facebook page

The protocol for royalty
was fascinating.  
We were advised of many requirements
in an e-mail prior to the event.
For example,
 there were to be no photographs of the 
Royal Family,
unless they were on stage.

The Royal Table

Everyone rose as the 
Royal Family 
entered
and we were not seated again
until they were seated.

And so on.

I thought 
Princess Madeleine 
was simply stunning.

John and I were delighted 
with the group at our table.
The owners of
Aquavit
were gregarious
and 
we fell in love with 
multiple
Tony Award winner,
Nelle Nugent.

The evening's entertainment
was provided by the
Broadway Green Alliance.
Two consummate performers
from Wicked sang,
"For Good."
The performance was moving because of their
ethereal voices,
but even more so
as I thought of the recent loss of my friend.
I couldn't stop the tears that sneaked
silently
down my cheeks.

SACC Facebook page

It was a magical evening
filled with
champagne,
glamour,
elegance,
emotion,
celebrities,
 food,
entertainment,
and 
royalty.

What more could a girl want?





No comments:

Post a Comment